The power gap filler.
Biogas meets electrolysis.
The greatest challenge faced on the path to 100% renewable energy supply is the fact that electricity cannot be generated from the wind and sun around the clock, no matter the weather. The solution matching supply to demand are intelligent storage systems, such as the electrolysers developed by GP JOULE.
These are locally combined power plants in the form of biogas plants with an electrolyser added onto them. They use electrolysis to transform unused electricity from nearby solar and wind sources into hydrogen with a 75% degree of efficiency. The hydrogen can then be stored in tanks for use at any time. The remaining 25% is channelled as heat to warm the biogas plant.
When the demand for power peaks, the hydrogen can then be used as additional fuel in block-type thermal power stations. This saves biomass, improves fuel efficiency and above all increases the ability to respond to fluctuations in demand flexibly. This way, a biogas plant acts as a local back-up power station.